Remember to savor your life's cupcakes!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sometimes I wish I could...

This story makes me smile. I don't know President Eyring's wife...but I love her!

“My brother and I were in front of the TV one Saturday night around midnight,” says Henry J. “A tawdry comedy show that we shouldn’t have been watching was on. The basement room was dark except for the light from the television. Without warning, Mother walked in. She was wearing a white, flowing nightgown and carrying a pair of shears. Making no sound, she reached behind the set, grabbed the cord, and gathered it into a loop. She then inserted the shears and cut the cord with a single stroke. Sparks flew and the set went dead, but not before Mother had turned and glided out of the room.”

Unnerved, Henry J. headed to bed. His innovative brother, however, cut a cord from a broken vacuum and connected it to the television. Soon the boys had plopped back down in front of the television, hardly missing any of their show.

“Mother, however, got the last laugh,” Henry J. says. “When we came home from school the next Monday, we found the television set in the middle of the floor with a huge crack through the thick glass screen. We immediately suspected Mother. When confronted, she responded with a perfectly straight face: ‘I was dusting under the TV, and it slipped.’ ”

Robert D. Hales, “President Henry B. Eyring: Called of God,” Ensign, Jul 2008

2 comments:

  1. another reason I love this story...because the sons of President Eyring are normal kids...like I was...like mine are...

    do you know how many times when we were younger my dad would walk in while we were watching SNL and the show instantly became unfunny. He would just stand there with his arms folded...

    ReplyDelete