Remember to savor your life's cupcakes!

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Small and Simple Things

The book "Small and Simple Things" by Marjorie Pay Hinckley has some of my most favorite and most oft quoted thoughts.

"How simple it is, really, to extend a kindness when we see the need. Jesus set the example on many occasions. He led the blind man out of the town. Just a small kindness, but a powerful example. God helps us to recognize the opportunities we have every day to touch lives in small and simple ways." (p. 98)

One of my goals for this year is to act on the promptings that I receive. I have learned that God does indeed give us opportunities to bless the lives of others if we just act on the promptings we receive.

A couple of years ago, a friend of mine had baby number 8. I was in grocery store and was prompted to bring her a meal. I felt a little overwhelmed by this prompting. I told Heavenly Father that I would get to it, but that I had other things I had to take care of first...so I ignored the prompting.

A few days later this same friend called me and shared with me something that had happened to her...an answer to her prayers. She told me that a lady in our stake came to her door and said essentially..."Hi. You don't know me very well but I got a prompting that you needed a meal , so here it is." My friend then shared that she had been praying for help.

I, of course, felt horrible. My friend was praying for needed help. Heavenly Father was trying to answer her prayers, through me. I told him I had a better plan. He found someone who was willing to listen to him. I immediately ran to the store and brought over Eggo waffles to my friend. Her kids loved having Eggo's for dinner. Small and simple things.

It is not very often that we get glimpses like this. But, Heavenly Father does hear and answer our prayers.

4 comments:

  1. love the picture!

    good & "cupcakey" thought for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute blog miss cindy!!!! thanks for the envite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blog! It is beautiful and I know that I will visit it often. You have so much to share and I learn from you EVERYtime I am around you! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has totally happened to me before. I try to follow the promptings I get, and when I don't, I wonder what miracle I could have been a part of.

    ReplyDelete