Remember to savor your life's cupcakes!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

My GPS

My husband got a GPS as a gift last Christmas. He loves using it. I don't know why though. He doesn't listen to it. He thinks he knows better. (I think it is because it has a woman's voice giving him directions.  Funny.)

One day, my sister in law and I were taking a car full of girls to Hollywood. My husband set up the GPS for the trip. The visiting started. We talked and we talked and we talked. We paid ZERO attention to the GPS and soon we were lost. Well, we'd missed the street we were supposed to turn on. Fortunately, the GPS did not give up on us. It kept giving us directions to get us back on track. When we finally stopped talking and started paying attention to the GPS, we got to our intended destination. We did have to learn how to listen to it though.

I think the gift of the Holy Ghost is like a GPS. We can choose not to listen to him because we think we know better. Or, we let the distractions in our life speak louder than he does. The more we allow the Holy Ghost to guide us, the more we familiarize ourselves with his voice, the easier it is to hear him. The Holy Ghost will always be there to help us get back to our intended destination. We just have to take the time to listen, learn how to listen and then follow the promptings we do receive.



"We need such inspired knowledge as we live our lives, as we seek to find God and apply his teachings, as we seek to find marriage partners, as we perform our responsibilities of parenthood, as we help others around us learn gospel truth and find God for themselves, as we seek understanding from scripture, as we implement present-day prophets’ counsel, as we contemplate the signal time in this dispensation in which we live, and as we seek to endure faithfully to the end. In all these and many more matters—indeed, in all aspects of our lives—we need guidance and knowledge from the Sure Source."  -Marion G. Romney, "Receiving and Applying Spiritual Strength" Ensign,  Feb. 1984

3 comments:

  1. I have such fond memories of that trip. We had some good laughs and some great conversation. Makes me miss you!

    Perfect analogy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I love the GPS in my phone. I feel so much more secure knowing it is there. What did I do before the GPS?? I got lost a lot, that's what.

    What did people do before the Holy Ghost was given to us?

    ReplyDelete